Torn World Forums

Torn World Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm 

This weeks prompt is: Crafting
This can be doing a craft, buying, creating, etc.

What is this about?
The idea behind these week prompts is to keep the mind flowing in an informal manner. To produce a piece of work in a short period of time that you can either leave as is (and possibly have it posted to non-canon), or work on in your own time to produce a full piece for Torn World.

How long can I take?
Anything up to 30 mins to produce your piece. It does not (and probably won't be) perfect.

How many can I do?
As many as you want, for as many characters/situations/adventures you want. As long as they all have a base theme of Torn World.

Is this a competition? Is there a winner?
Nope! This is for fun and enjoyment.

You have until Sunday to post them here! Comments welcome by readers also.

Enjoy!

Owner of: Lenarai, Areluu, Olarali Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Yay! Have some sitter time this afternoon I hope to use...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Am so late with this!

Flower Day

Kativa sat cross-legged on the cool floor of the crafthouse, idly rolling a strand of bright-colored silk-hare yarn through her fingers. Kether, behind her, sat up on the concrete ledge that ringed the house, swearing under his breath as he tried to fold a piece of fine, dyed birchbark paper into a flower. It was comforting to have his feet nearby; nothing else about Itrelir felt familiar, even though half of the refuges of Itadesh were here.

The crafters had put out the brightest and most tempting scraps out for general use for flower day, and villagers were clinging to the cheerful hope that the holiday brought, making happy little flowers to gift to each other on the day that sunlight returned to the village after the long, dark winter. Kativa felt like the determinedly bright chatter in the house couldn't touch her - she was muffled in her own wool.

Kativa had made one quick quirky flower out of wool for Kether (though she didn't tell him it was for him - that would wait until the actual day!), and then stalled out when she would have made one for Tolnam... and Marda. That only made her think of all the other friends she'd lost in the Itadesh, and she started feeling more guilty than ever, because her first thought wasn't for the people who had died in the fire, or for Marda, who had taken her own life to make things better for others, but for her age-mate, who had outgrown her, and found true love.

She had crumpled the yarn in her hand, and put it aside abruptly, reaching for a tuft of colored fur. She could make a flower for Birka, and one for her idol Fala. She wondered if they'd be back for the event itself - they were out of the village right now browsing the snow-unicorns in fresh fields. As over-crowded as they were right now, rangers were taking unicorns out further and further to find good browsing grounds.

"Do you think Lenarai will like this?" Kether asked quietly near her ear. The flower he held was no prize for beauty, but he had etched little criss-crosses all along the outsides of the petals.

"She'll love it," Kativa said sincerely, and she hated herself a little for wishing that Tolnam would put half as much care into something for her. Tolnam was probably laboring over a flower for (name) right now, pouring effort into what would only be a temporary decoration, as an expression of his lasting affection. The village gossips were sighing in delight over the two. Would Tolnam even bother making his old age-mate, once his closest friend, a flower?

Kether already had a little pile of flowers next to him, clumsily crafted from whichever materials were closest and brightest. He was solidly cheerful in the face of loss and despair, quietly cheering up anyone who looked down with whatever little gifts of kindness he could. Impulsively, Kativa threw an arm around his closest leg and hugged it.

To her surprise, he stiffened. "What was that for?" he asked uncomfortably.

"For being you," Kativa said. She picked up a piece of dyed birchbark paper. She would make Kether a fine flower - and Tolnam, too, and give the wool flower to Birka. Flower Day was a celebration for hope. The winter <i>would</i> end, and things <i>would</i> be better again. They'd rebuild Itadesh, and if Tolnam had found someone to love - someone who wasn't her - she could be a big enough person to be happy for his happiness. Somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm 
prizewinner
prizewinner

I like this.

I'd suggest "... Marda, who had given her own life ..." or perhaps "given up her own life"